Saturday, February 11, 2012

Auf Wiedersehen Deutschland

This post has been in the backburner form some time. I was to write this at the end of my stint in Germany, having ended a chapter of my life. My time was very eventful albeit a little shortlived. I cant think of any other phase when there were so many highlights in such a short period. The ones listed below are in no particular order of importance.

  • I got my Master's degree. More importantly I got the foreign education experience I wanted. Whether I made use of the learning opportunities is another thing. My coursework did not warrant any deep learning or many assignments. The exams were kinda tough but the emphasis on application and understanding rather than mugging meant that studying for exams wasn't strenuous. And in the end, the grades were very good. If not for the chilled out course, I would not have had time to work for my living (and travelling) expenses and I would not have had any more points on this list.
  • Travelling around Europe was probably the biggest reason I went to Germany. And doing that involved a lot of planning, saving, making use of every holiday I got and sometimes going alone if I had to. I visited Austria, Czech Republic, Italy, France (Paris), Spain, Switzerland, Russia (Moscow), Belgium, Netherlands and of course many parts of Germany. I did leave out Greece and Scandinavia on purpose. There should be a reason to come back, right? Anyway, my travels made my time in Europe the vacation that it was. And of course, it gave me so much to blog about.
  • I learnt how to swim. Crossing over to the deep side (in the Olympic pool :) ) took some time but now I am very comfortable in water, which had been a target for a very long time.
  • I put on weight. Yes, you read it right. What I thought was impossible is apparently possible. All it needed was a daily diet of 2 litres milk, half a kilo of chicken, and eggs, fish, rice, tuna and mayo sandwiches, peanuts..that is all. And hard and heavy working out. 10 kilos in 5 months is no lean feat, me thinks. And for me, this is probably the most important gain, because I have always been touchy about my body, and enough blood has boiled when unfit people have talked trash about it. But there is still work to be done, and now gymming has become part of my daily routine.
  • I learnt to ski. In the Alps. Enough said.
  • I can speak German. Just the basic stuff. I really enjoyed interacting with people in German to get around, or in the store etc.
  • I got much better in playing the guitar, tennis and cooking. 
  • Then there is the whole German experience. Which means four seasons and the cold bitter winters, the discipline and efficiency, the politeness and the hot chicks. Germany is a model state, and there is a lot Indians can learn from Germans. I dont think German punctuality has really rubbed on me. I still am always exactly on time or 5 minutes late tops, but never early. But I hold their politeness in high regard and I try to emulate them as far as I can. I also made a few good friends and many friends from other countries.

I did all these exciting things, but still couldn't find enough reason to stay. I see these two years as a pure vacation, maybe a sabbatical. I studied, traveled, played, lived my dreams and then came home. So the fact that the Masters degree has not given me any real boost to my career does not bother me.  I learnt a lot of things, about myself, about how people live and how things work in a different world. I realized what I took for granted, and I have understood my priorities and discovered the things that mean the most to me. I am really glad I went and I hope I get a chance to visit again.

3 comments:

  1. How can it be a lean feat if you've put on weight...was it a reverse pun?? and dont be presumptuous that all germans only read your blog..atleast translate the effing title

    ReplyDelete
  2. i said NO lean feat...and i presumed people know basic international greetings :p....ok for you..."See you again Germany"

    ReplyDelete
  3. WTF...i can bet NO ONE...NO ONE would understand your 'basic international greeting' unless they are deutsch speaking. Go take a survey. 'Basic' it is not.

    ReplyDelete